Wednesday, November 7, 2007

south korea's got seoul

on the third and final leg of my itinerary from narita to incheon, i woke up from a sluggish sleep and looked out the window. i felt like i was in the middle of a dream. imagine 50 or so lightning bugs, stationary in the air, with their bright orbs of warm light reflected by the water. magnify the size of their lights by 100 or maybe more realistically by 5000--this is afterall being observed from thousands of feet above!--and you can visualize what i saw: dark sky, warm magical lights. welcome to korea.

i am writing from my friend theresa's apt in gangnam, a neighborhood of seoul. during our 10 minute walk from the bus station to her home, i observed wide sidewalks and tall buildings some with neon lights, others closed for the day. my head feels loose, like it's slightly separated from my body. that must be the effect of being in transit for nearly 24 hours. i look forward to exploring her neighborhood tomorrow and letting my feet and intuition serve as my compass.

my flights were fine. the take offs and landings were all smooth and lucky for me, i was asleep before nearly every take off and woke up from my slumber just as we were about to land. i didn't sleep the whole way, just lots of little naps. and now, i'm ready to drift into a deep and long sleep.

1 comment:

H. said...

Yaaaaay you made it!! Hope you have some wonderful foods and exploring tomorrow! I have no idea what the time difference is...maybe its tomorrow already?