Friday, November 16, 2007

foreign korean

today i ventured on the subway, alone. it was a good exercise in learning how to navigate the system and i've decided i'd like to make day trips for myself and explore more of seoul while i am currently, yet, hopefully soon not to be, unemployed. seoul, first of all, if i haven't mentioned this before, is humungous. like humungous, ginormous. and luckily, the subway system while expansive, is well marked and fairly easy to understand with stops marked in both korean and english and on some trains, they even announce each stop. also, there's a whole 'nother dimension to the subway system in korea, they are like underground mini-worlds, complete with convenient stores, rest rooms, clothing shops, restaurants, and vending machines.

my outing today was for an interview at korea poly school's headquarters close to the gwang heung chang train stop. it took about an hour and 15 minutes to get there from theresa's area known as gang-nam. korea poly school was started by korean-americans and korean-canadians otherwise known as gyopos. the best translation for gyopo is "foreign korean." yep, and i am definitely one of those. sometimes, the natives like to throw this in my face. on my way home from the train station, i bought some clementines from a street vendor who told me that i spoke korean poorly. greaaaat. thanks for the support, mate! tell me something i don't know! when i'm in a smartass mood, i want to say, "ahhh, but you still understood what i said, didn't you, sucka?!?!" in korean of course, but i don't have that down yet. so i must practice. yesssssssssssssssssssssss. practice, practice, practice.

i think the interview went well. the position was for an entry level management role that essentially acted like a coordinator between staff, students and their parents. i'm not sure if it's the best position for me presently and i'm not certain i'm the most qualified, but, i figure, i might as well remain open-minded and curious to whatever positions seem feasible and interview my ass away. i say i think the interview went well as opposed to fully knowing because my cold seems to have made me a bit stupid. i'm breathing through my mouth, since i have a congested and stuffy nose, and i wonder if that has hindered the amount of oxygen my brain is receiving. i feel like my actions are delayed, my wit, not so sharp.

my interview yesterday was at cdi, theresa's place of employment. it was a 2 hour process of interviewing, test essay writing, and a powerpoint presentation about the history of cdi. my interviewer seemed positive about offering me a position, and told me that i would know within a few days. i would like to work at cdi. i'm looking forward to teaching, to interacting with students and personally, to have funds to sign up for korean language classes. at this point, i am starting to feel a bit antsy about finding a job...so i'm trying to calm my anxieties by keeping things simple. by breathing in my fears (albeit through my mouth or wheezing nose) and breathing out peace. i'm practicing tonglen.

koreans interview in a style this is much more informal than in the us. first of all, there's no receptionist to greet you once you enter the office. it's just cubicle- land and therefore very confusing to me, the interviewee and newbie, to the office. yet once the interview is over, it is common and in my mind, a very formal practice where you are walked to the elevator by the interviewer, and you sort of awkwardly stand together and make silly small talk until the elevator arrives. that reminds me of times i've rushed saying goodbye to friends on the metro in dc and then you stand in front of the door, waiting to exit, feeling like an idiot for having rushed the goodbye when you're still standing on the train with your friend still sitting, also waiting until you exit the train.

it's time for me to nap and sleep away these cold symptoms. enjoy these subway shots.

clean and shiny subway floor:

subway restroom. grab your tp before you enter the stall:

i know you've heard of soap on a rope, but how 'bout on a stainless stick?

it's so orderly, the line up for boarding the train:

entertaining self portrait, while waiting for the train:

i love that this vending machine says, "it's cool!"

you see this guy everywhere. this way to exit:

2 comments:

m said...

photos are fabulous (especially your self-portrait). feel better soon, eh?

Anonymous said...

There's something really "not right" about that soap on a stainless stick...

And I think you should name Monkey "Julia." :)