Thursday, August 6, 2009

before and after: my mouth, the model

this morning, i went back to my dentist to get my stitches removed. it's remarkable how much i've healed in 7 days a lone. damn fascinating, actually. my bruise is mostly gone and my gum is feeling a lot less swollen. it's still a bit sensitive and tender, but what can you do after you've had your bone hammered and drilled and two titanium rods are now nestled in your mouth?

during the day of my operation, i had asked my dentist if he'd be willing to document the procedure for me with my camera. i wanted to be able to see everything, especially since i couldn't see anything during the operation. he replied that he would be taking photographs with his own camera, for his portfolio, and told me he'd be happy to send me copies. he confided today that i am the first patient to request photos of the whole bloody mess. he probably thinks i've lost my marbles. too late, dentist, them marbles have been long gone!

who doesn't like before and after shots?!? huh, huh? you tell me. to notice the differences, look very closely at the area above the gap. which gap? the one where there are no teeth gap.

before: the gum area above my toothless gap is concave. the bone mass has decreased or shrank in size because there was nothing for it to support.

after: ooh look now! it's significantly plumper!

before: the recessed gumline

after: the added bone gumline

and so, i wait. 6 months to go!