Saturday, August 1, 2009

the aftermath

what comes after surgery is sometimes worse than the surgery itself. in an unfortunate set of miscommunication foibles, i walked out of the dentist's office without my prescription for painkiller meds.

3-4 hours later i was writhing in pain and called the dentist's office to see if i could take tylenol. it was then that i found out that i should've been given a prescription! here's what happened: the receptionist gave me my ice pack, two containers of mouth rinse and a sheet with post-op directions. she then left the office and the dentist went over the post-op follow up instructions. when i paid for the first installment of my implants, a nurse--not the receptionist--helped me and i think she thought that the dentist or receptionist gave me my prescription. i think the dentist thought the nurse or receptionist gave me the prescription and the receptionist probably thought that the dentist gave me my prescription. sweet jesus, how many people does it take to administer a prescription? apparently, more than three.

when i came home, i tried to take a nap but the pain was so intense that i couldn't even sleep. and believe me, i can sleep! and i have a pretty high threshold for pain, but this was really testing my limits. you can imagine my shock when the receptionist told me that i should've been given a prescription--wtf?!?!?--and thankfully, fax machines quickly sorted the fiasco all out. thank GOD.

by the time i got home to take my meds, i was crying. it wasn't a long journey, the pharmacy is just down the street. but still, DAMN! i just got my fuckin bone hammered and drilled. painkillers are essential. relief came almost immediately and then, i fell asleep.

my upper lip is mad swollen, as is the right side of my face. i like to say i look a bit like a human monkey. i've pretty much been sleeping and watching movies for the past two days. good thing i have two more days to sleep, watch movies and recover. the swelling has gone down a bit, even though i look like i've botoxed the shit out of my upper lip--believe me, it's not attractive. look for yourself:

No comments: