Wednesday, January 23, 2008

catch up...

how is it almost the end of january?! my birthday is approaching, it's this weekend! it is during this time of year, that i often consciously reflect, remembering pivotal moments from the year previous--i was in new zealand!--and wondering how to direct my energy for another 12 new months of laughter, playfulness, growth and wisdom--with curiosity and gentleness.

today was my first private lesson with nami at the korean language academy in gangnam. it was a lot of fun and it made me realize that i know more than i think i do--nice, nice! but, (baaaah!) i often forget to apply the rules of what i learn in practice. so i'm good at korean language theory, but need to improve on the delivery. done and done. i'm on it. i think being a student will help me to become a better teacher. our instructor, is a very sweet, easy to talk to, wonderfully encouraging woman. our interactions were like exchanges of lively smart bubbles. every time i said something correctly, i was rewarded with praise. i became very aware of just how meaningful a simple, "good job!" can be. we reviewed object particles, subject particles, how to conjugate verbs and vocabulary. (for example: is that a clock? yes, it is a clock.) we're also learning the most honorific form of korean (think the "usted" in spanish) so i'll have to consult with my korean friends to get the slang versions. i'm building a solid foundation for this korean language house of mine! other good news: i got accepted into the seoul national university's language program which commences in the beginning of march and continues until early may. luckily, my friend chris is also committing himself to this draining schedule with me, so we can commute and study together. power in numbers, baby, power in numbers.

work is still going well. my students are easily entertained and amuse me when they get so eager for me to check their notebooks so i can draw them their prize illustration. the past week, it was a bee or a ladybug. last week, i drew a picture of piece of toast and get this, a meatball! (it was related to the story we were reading...) sponge bob has been requested, i'll have to practice. that'll really wow them!

other happenings: presently, i'm leery and wary of korean men. the guy i thought was super cool and cute turned out to be mcnasty. in short: grrrrrooooossssssss!!!! and i've had random interactions with other men that are giving my ko-dar (korean sketchiness factor radar) alarm! back-up-off-a-me sucka! the cultural differences are beginning to get under my skin and aggravate me. i'm trying to balance my awareness of them while also trying to not let them affect me too much. it's during these times, that i especially miss home. i miss you, my family and friends!!! i wish you could all visit me on my birthday!!!!

No comments: