Thursday, October 18, 2012

hair kaleidoscope!




my once violet hair is now shifting and transforming daily from various and unpredictable shades of violet, grey, silver, blonde, and bronze. it's so much fun to observe the differences and of course, to notice the variety of reactions from random people on the streets!

when i've gone on runs along the river, several older korean men stare but return my waves hello! once i was walking on the street and a taxi cab driver, drove super slowly by me, gawking at me from behind the shadow of his sunglasses. and the best, so far, is a conversation i had with an older korean woman. she sat down next to me on the bench at the bus stop and immediately struck up a conversation:

woman: is that your natural hair color?
me: no, it's not.
woman: ah, okay! i wondered why such a young girl like you would have such white hair!
me: yeah, it's not natural, i dyed it.
woman: why did you dye your hair like that?
me: well, i dyed it purple but the color has washed out a lot.
woman: how much did it cost?
me: my friend is a stylist so i was able to get a good discount.
woman: yeah, so how much?
me: i paid 80,000 won.
woman: (aghast) what? you made that much to dye your hair like that? why did you do it?
me: (chuckling) i dyed it because it's fun!
woman: (baffled) because it's fun?!?
me: yeah!
woman: well, i mean you have such a pretty face, but your hair!...

then her bus arrived and i wished her a nice day! i love little entertaining interactions like that! and i love how my hair shifts and changes--so much fun!

No comments: