Friday, October 12, 2012

run, ji sun, run!

i am happy and grateful to say that at this present moment, i feel that i am in the best shape of my life. i have good blood pressure, my hypothyroid condition is still stable (going on 11 years!) and has not negatively nor deeply impacted my day to day well-being, i eat well, i hydrate, i do yoga and i run.

this past sunday, i ran my first of two 10k races this month. for four weeks prior to race time, i found an online training course aimed at improving my speed and performance. in that duration of time, i ran 4-5 times a week, with speed workouts and easier longer distance runs. i ran along the han river and at the nearby park track, keeping count of minutes loosely and feeling determined to beat my own time of 57:00 minutes from my last 10k race, also in seoul, back in 2010.

what happened floored me! i completed my race in 48:43. not only did i exceed my target time, but, i ran an 8-minute mile pace. 8 minutes! per mile! the inner jock geek in me is literally GEEKING out! i've always been an active person, but, when it came to running, i wasn't always as fast as i knew i could be. i knew that i should keep my goals realistic and in doing so, i completely surprised myself at my own ability to outshine the only person who's time mattered, mine.

i'm still training...hoping to beat my own best personal time for the next 10k at the end of the month. i want to be realistic and now that i feel more confident in my pace, i know i can push myself further, stronger. run! go! RUN!

1 comment:

m said...

Congratulations!!!! Speed workouts are tough, but they are really worth it!!! Go Ji Sun, Go! :-)