Wednesday, April 16, 2008

they ARE listening!!!

last night, my reading class delightfully entertained me. a month ago, we discussed the dangers of introducing new species of insects--think beetle, moth, etc--to environments that are incapable of defending themselves against the intruders. while not an insect, i immediately thought of the kiwi bird. to demonstrate the effects of invasive species, in this case, smoats and ferrets, i portrayed the kiwi bird in a defenseless light by saying that the kiwi was such a poor bird! over-exaggeration and dramatization work wonderfully in keeping students alert and attentive!

i told them the kiwi can't fly, can't see well and can't run fast--three strikes against the "poor kiwi bird!" (oofda! i now realize that i taught my students myths! yikes! 2 out of 3 are myths! so, i'll have to correct myself next week...they may forever remember me as the "poor kiwi bird" teacher.) and lo and behold, this week's lesson was on...drum roll please! BIRDS! guess which bird nearly every student remembered? oh yes. the "poor kiwi bird!"

they repeated my phrases, word for word, mimicking my exact tone and emphases. wow. they ARE listening!!! ooh, i better watch what i say!

No comments: