Friday, April 4, 2008

my "amelie" moment

yesterday, i saw a blind man walking in the middle of the road. a parking lot attendant approached and guided him in the right direction towards the station. overhearing this, i told the blind man that i was also going to the subway station so we could walk there together. i put my arm in his and he stopped using his guide stick. the day was beautifully spring, sunny and crisp. i told him in korean, "nice weather today, don't you think?" my accent was a dead giveaway to my non-nativeness and he replied, "you're not korean, are you?" i smiled, and said, "no, i'm an english teacher." when we approached the steps, i warned him to step down or step up. i helped him get his ticket and walked him to his waiting spot (we were going in different directions) where he thanked me and we said goodbye. it's moments like those that make me feel peacefully connected to strangers, where kindness is given and received.