Wednesday, April 9, 2008

shameless

yesterday i walked to school, sulking. i was tired and the rainy weather only made me feel more so. it's mid-term time which means that my students have begun to care a little less. they also seem to have the attention spans of goldfish and i don't blame them. i think i've one foot dangling in the lazy goldfish bowl, too.

i didn't necessarily dread teaching, but, i wasn't looking forward to it. my students, however (only 5--my favorite number to teach) were energizing and too cute for me to remain crusty. it's in this class that i feel like we are true collaborators in education, rather than having such a distinct separation between teacher and student. this class, i shameless admit, is one of my favorites. (shhh!!!) i'm also shameless in it. i completely lied to them. (again, shhhh!!!)

last wednesday, i told them that if everyone completed all of their homework assignments, i'd treat to them bread. no just any ole bread, but tasty rolls with cheese and nuts. (it may sound weird, but it's quite yummy!) and guess who forgot to buy bread!!! how embarrassing. i couldn't tell my students that i forgot, so i lied. i flat out lied and said that i put the bread in my locker and since my co-workers and i share food, they must've thought they could eat it. yep. so i blamed my co-workers. i'm such a role model. luckily, when i told them that they were entitled to bread next week, they cheered. note to self: don't forget to buy bread...good grief.

No comments: