Saturday, March 22, 2008

nasty

i've been learning some pretty interesting things about myself when i teach. last week, i realized that i say the word, "nasty" often. naaaaaaasty! during my reading class, my student sam, informed me that students in korea don't dissect dead frogs, instead, they put the frogs to sleep then begin dissection. i'm assuming that the forgs die during the dissection but apparently, some strong frogs awake and jump away from their student "doctors." baffled, i asked, "does blood get everywhere?" sam answered, nonchalantly, "yeah." i replied, "oh, man! that is nasty!" (i have to ask sam about where the frogs go...)

another student, alex asked, "teacher, what's nasty?"
"nasty means gross!"
"so, it's not nestea?"
"no, it's naaaaaaaasty! not neeeehhhstea."
"well, it sounds the same to me..."
"what?!?! repeat after me! naaaaaasty."
"naaaaasty."
"good!"
"now, say nestea. neeeehhhstea."
"nestea."
"nice!"
"teacher, it still sounds the same to me!"

puzzled, i made him repeat after me several more times, much to everyone else's delight. since that class, every time i use the word nasty, my students say, "naaaaaasty!" they no longer confuse it with nestea. nice! and they get to make fun of me in the process, bonus!

No comments: