Wednesday, November 27, 2013

taxi cab conversation

in korea, i've gotten quite used to (and sometimes jaded) by the categories in which i feel that people--mostly strangers--stereotype me. on one hand, in the grand scheme of life, it really doesn't matter. (not one bit.) the opinions of those that don't really don't know me, much less, even want to get to know me, are not the thoughts that deserve much of my time or attention. on the other hand, if i'm feeling particularly sensitive or vulnerable, even those small judgements from fleeting interactions can make me feel inadequate and shameful.

i have been spending more of my time this year, being healthy, replacing bad habits with good ones, cultivating more awareness of taming my mind to keep focused on the things that really matter. i'm working on equanimity and not taking things personally. it's a work in progress for sure, but i can feel those shifts taking place and it's warm and reassuring.

last week, i missed the last bus from my friend's neighborhood back into my own and as it was a blustery cold night and since i don't often take cabs, i justified my cab treat. (also, there was literally no other way to get home!) some of my friends in seoul have complained about how cab drivers can be feisty or unpleasant, aggressive or just plain rude. luckily i haven't had much experience with such grumpies, but then again, remember i haven't really spent a lot of time in cabs. regardless, the cab driver on that particular night was a chatty one and i welcomed our exchange.

he was very open and accepting--told me that based on my accent, he sensed i had lived abroad. he explained that i was very much "korean" but not "native" without judgement. it was refreshing! he then asked if i were married and when i told him that i wasn't, he said that he had a strong feeling that i would meet a good person--he was boldly affirming and supportive. right now, marriage is not something that's a top priority, but, i also feel strongly that when the time is right, i'll meet a person that's good for me and i'll be a good person, in return.

No comments: