Monday, May 16, 2011

karma points


i just scored big (HUGE!) karmic points by returning a wallet to its rightful and very relieved owner.

yesterday, i went for my usual run in rock creek park and while i was stretching by the various exercise stations, on one of the signs posts, i noticed a black wallet with a very awesome bike screen print on the front. wondering if it was left there intentionally by the only other person in the vicinity--at the time he was swinging on the still rings. what a misleading name: still rings!--i let it be. but when the man ran by without so much as a glance at the wallet, i knew that it was up to me to do the right thing.

it wasn't as easy as i thought it would be track the owner! he had a very common name (matthew bailey) and my facebook search posted nothing. my linkedin search was also a bust and even though i had what i thought was his current address on his voter registration card, i came up blank in finding a contact number. so, i tried the next best thing. i called his dad. in washington state. from his driver's license, i was able to find a home phone number using his parent's address and once his dad realized that i wasn't part of the mafia or trying to scam him, i was given mr. bailey's cell phone number, in washington dc.

the story ends well. he met me in dupont and i happily returned his wallet. some high fives were also exchanged and i felt pleased doing my good samaritan and sleuthing act of the day.

1 comment:

PeterNZ said...

Let me comment with one of my favorite philosopher Shantideva:

"All the joy the world contains
Has come through wishing happiness for others.
All the misery the world contains
Has come through wanting pleasure for oneself"

You made someone happy and increased the level of joy in the world! I thank you for that because I will benefit from more joy in the world as well and so will we all.

Cheers

Peter