Tuesday, October 7, 2008

what the fuck?!?

do you ever get the sinking feeling that whatever unfortunate and inconvenient issues were lurking just beneath the polished exterior of a workplace have suddenly been exposed and it's not the end but rather the beginning of a tedious and trying co-existence? yeah, welcome to my life.

somedays, i have a hard time comprehending what it is that people do as their jobs. just what EXACTLY do they do? based on my observations, people waste an incredible amount of time pretending to work or worrying and complaining about work but never actually DOING any work. the word efficiency seems lost and nonexistent in the korean office.

i'm not saying i'm the most efficient person in the world, by no means can i make that claim, martha effin stewart has just about everyone beat in that category. but, i do know how to manage time and lack of time managment seems to be the ultimate weakness in korea. i think one of the keys to "success" in life (fuuuuck, i sound like an annoying motivational poster) is the actual application of ideas, be they grandiose, innovative or simply smart. you've got to, as tim gunn, says "make it work!" and of course, making it work and making it work well produce two different effects. and what may i ask, what (and who) the fuck is working here?

my job is not the cream of the crop, nor is it peaches and cream, all that and then some. it's not. (it is also, thankfully, not the worst job i've ever worked) i never expected that--puhhhlease, i'm realistically idealistic so i'm grounded yet hopeful--but i did expect common sense to be present. the lack of basic knowledge was at first comical, but it is now getting absurd to the point of obscenity. whoa nelly! hold your horses...okay, okay, i'm adding waaay too much dramatic flair. but seriously, seriously?!?!?! in an unplanned meeting, my supervisor expected me to tell him the main points to a class curriculum i'm still creating. when i retreived my notes and explained spontaneously what i thought would be best, he then asked me to write him an email. confused by such a request, especially since i had just voiced my thoughts literally seconds ago, i asked him:

"you want me to write you an email about the things i just said?"
"yes."

welcom to office space, korean style.

2 comments:

H. said...

oh gurrrl I know it's like even the not-worst jobs can have some real dumbies. I send an email that clearly explains everything and then the person walks up to me and go "sooooo what did your email say?" as if they can't be bothered, to like, READ.

Last night I went to a car dealer - talk about B.S. hooooooly cow it was just too thick to breathe that air full of sales-y cliche poopyness!!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I love your honest observations about life.

I just want you to know that. :)