Wednesday, September 10, 2008

i tire of talking so i write instead

it occurred to me today, that i am tired of talking. not the most advantageous of realizations for a conversation instructor, but, it's true. actually, i'm tired of a lot of things.

i know i have to be kind and allow myself time to adjust to all these recent changes but it's exactly these changes that exhaust me. it's tiring to pack, move and unpack. it's work to observe and figure out the unspoken ways of how things operate at a new work place. it's harder still to consciously aim to give only enough of myself and conserve most of my energy to help the person that deserves it the most right now: me. it's a self serving and necessary act to pay this much attention to myself. i am learning to know and understand myself. as in, REALLY GET TO KNOW myself! and let me tell you friends, it's labor intensive. not physically, but sure as hell mentally and emotionally.

i'm not the type of person who identifies myself based solely on one thing (i.e. job) but i think i'd actually really enjoy having my work mean more to me than it currently does. it's not that my job isn't meaningful, but, i am finding that more and more company jobs are blurring together into being one rather big sick and twisted joke. can someone please cut out the bullshit?!?! can bullshit or the people who give bullshit be treated with compassion? what would the dalai lama say?

2 comments:

H. said...

this is a big question ... my current take on it is that the people who seem to be most satisfied with their jobs are those that directly help other people in 1-on-1 situations, without being isolated and distanced from the result of their work. Nurses, teachers, public defenders, camp counselors, even social workers. I've noticed that none of those jobs are related to material things, the way people and things look, or fame. But the thing about this is that everyone is different and some people seem to really love bullshit. PS. I miss you!!!

Eve Fox said...

Heidi is right (although those folks also get burned out at high rates, too). Also, people who create things with their hands tend to be satisfied - carpenters, artists, etc. You might want to check out an interesting book by Studs Terkel called Working - a collection of interviews he did way back when with people from all walks of life. I remember reading it when I hated my first job out of college. it was sort of interesting perspective on it all.