Tuesday, May 5, 2009

the plane ride

my plane ride to america could have been a potential disaster. people, if you are flying from seoul and think that checking in at the city terminal is a good idea, think again. i repeat, THINK AGAIN! it's only good if you are flying either korean or asiana airlines. if you are flying korean airlines that is associated with delta, like i was, this is NOT for you. i found out this vital piece of information at 3:25pm, when i thought i was home-free. i was very far from coasting.

thankfully, by the alignment of good and gracious forces, i boarded a bus that went directly to incheon airport at 3:35pm. we hit traffic. i have never tried so hard not to freak out. it takes approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes and my plane was scheduled to take-off at 6:20pm. oh sweet jesus. i tried to focus on my breathing. it worked for a little bit, i actually fell asleep! when i woke up, i felt anxious, nervous and irritable. breathing. i reminded myself that these types of things happen. we have misunderstandings and honestly, it's not the end of the world. so while i was freaking out, i told myself, that once we got to the airport i would run and see if that would help. and if it didn't help, then i'd get on another flight. not the one i was hoping for, but a flight nevertheless. luckily i checked in, and made it to my boarding gate, with over 20 minutes to spare, before boarding began. i was so utterly relieved! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!

the plane ride itself was long. 14 hours from incheon to atlanta. 2 hours from atlanta to baltimore. i watched 3 movies: revolutionary road--incredible!, doubt--excellent, and marley and me--so sweet! and ate 3 meals: a dry piece of chicken i didn't finish, yogurt and bread, korean style beef with rice. towards the end of my voyage, my back felt sore, my legs cramped. outside, breathing fresh air was a joy. coming home, much more joyful.

No comments: