Tuesday, December 4, 2007

welcome home

this past sunday i moved into my new home in pyeongchun, a 25 minute walk away from work. right now, it's feels very empty. all this space and no furniture. but, i luckily have wireless access and speakers so at least i'm able to blog while dancing and singing to my heart's content. and, bonus! several other instructors live very close by: amber lives across the hall, while sha and jason live in the next building. the four of us chilled in sha's place after work tonight. (how nice to be so close to home, tres convenient.) we feasted on pizza--mmm!!!! pizza!!!--and shared stories, did the chitty chitty chat chat. good times. at first, i was a bit worried i'd be super lonely as i'd gotten comfortable with theresa and clara's company, so i'm relieved that the transition is already smooth.

on sunday night, i met with my dad's friends from his school days, and i was so touched by their kindness. now, i unfortunately don't know the exact story of how they met, as my comprehension of korean doesn't go beyond age 3 these days. (grr! it's a frustrating reminder to get my korean vocab shit together, STAT!) but regardless, they were sweet and dear and treated me to a feast of korean beef, which is quickly becoming my fave. they told me not to worry, to "not live with a headache" was the literal translation and if i needed anything, to call them. i was so moved that i had to swallow my tears of gratitude.

the kiddies are still super but keeping animated for 6 hours is hard work. shiiiit. i'm not a treasure trove of energy, i've been relying on the instant coffee packets as speedy pick me ups. my students, for as much as they zap me of my energy, also replenish it. and i'm secretly delighted that one of my classes has begun imitating my pop/hip-hop exclamations: YEEEE-AAAAH! (usher, holllllaaaaaaa!)

1 comment:

H. said...

Pretty soon they'll be speaking Ji Sun Street Slang English, sayin stuff like "girrrrrrl I know were gonna break it down for REAL am i riiight?!"