Thursday, December 13, 2007

proactivity

i'm attempting to be very self disciplined and learn korean on my own. i found a textbook that has cd's so i've been listening, completing los ejercicios and correcting my mistakes. since one of my most important goals while i'm in korea is to frickin learn korean--as in i want to tell elaborate stories in korean, begin dreaming in korean, flirt continuously in korean!--i'm trying to do a chapter once a week, then up it up (once i get into my work groove) to twice a week and shooooot, maybe even three times a week! well, let's not get too carried away now, baby steps ji sun, baby steps.

i wondered the other day that if my english skills are already showing signs of slight deterioration, whether that means my korean is improving?! oh man, that's not a good sign if an english teacher don't speak english too good. i'll have to sign up for classes at the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too.

i also bought a kiddie dictionary with funny pictures (ooh! pictures!) and examples of how the word is used in a sentence. nice. my co-worker chris and i want to take classes together after january. during january, i'll be working even more hours for a period called "intensives." korean students will be on winter break and get this, take even more english classes. the school system here takes no prisoners. hard core. but healthy? meh...i don't think so. welcome to the place that never stops.

3 comments:

H. said...

The Zoolander school learnt me good!!

Anonymous said...

To ensure you're keeping up on your English, I wanted to send you my newest, favoritist phrase, which my friend, Lisa the Vet, coined: "all up in my booty." It's a new twist on the time-honored favorite "all up in my grill."

For example, "I was driving down the road, going slowly because I was in a construction area, and this car was all up in my booty. I couldn't even see his headlights!"

Eve Fox said...

You can't go wrong with the Zoolander school...